Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anyone can do it.

MB  #91 Graphic Arts





My next door neighbors work at Liberty Press and gave me a tour of the facility. I have to say that it is one of the coolest things I have ever done. We are a long way from Johannes Gutenberg. If he could have only seen the machines that I saw, he would be proud to be the father of mass printing.

Today, we (everybody in the US at least) always have something to print. Although I think printing's peak  is in the past with the invention of the tablet computer. (Shhh...don't tell my neighbors.) Graphic arts has become a tech job. What people used to do with ink and paper is now being done with point and click. Simple programs like Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Digital Image (my favorite) can make stellar graphic artists out of all of us. Publishers will have to evolve to stay alive. My dad has made several personal books thanks to software and an online publisher called Blurb. The most recent one he put together was one my grandma wrote about my great-grandpa, who is still alive at 99!


If you are related to Grandpa Paystrup, you can buy this book here.