Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

"It was ability that mattered,...

...not disability, which is a word I'm not crazy about using."
--Marlee Matlin
MB #57 Disabilities Awareness
This MB started at the AF Rec center with me blindfolded for the first hour. I was to learn appreciation for those who are blind. And I did. What I really learned was what Marlee Matlin, who is a very talented deaf actress, was saying. Even though I couldn't see, I still had other abilities that I could use. I could still hear. I could still speak. I could still walk and move and participate in the class.
Even the most severely disabled can still enjoy life through the senses they do possess.
One of the things I did was learn about some of the services that a lady in my neighborhood uses to aid her in her everday life. Even though she is unable to drive, UTA Paratransit it available to take her where she needs to go. There is an organization called RAH where she participates in many social activities and has tons of fun.