Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Adventures Found

My dad knew that there were merit badge classes at the Orem Rec Center, so he went on a hunt to find other classes that he could sign me up for. Needless to say he found a ton! The American Fork Rec Center offered almost 50! Some I couldn't take for various reasons: we found the site too late, not enough people signed up for the class so it was cancelled, dad wouldn't by me a dog, etc. But I was able to sign up for many. Over the next three months I have over 30 classes I am taking. There is also a BYU/UVU PowWow at the end of the month and the beginning of November that will give me the opportunity to earn more.

MB#2 - Public Speaking

The Merit Badges that are the most important to me right now are the centennial merit badges. For the 100 year celebration of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, they renewed four for this year only - Signaling, Pathfinding, Tracking, and Carpentry. They have to be started and finished before December 31, 2010. When we went to the scout store/district office to get my uniform (which is very cool by the way), we found out that there was only one counselor in the entire district that was over the Tracking Merit Badge. Dad called him to see if he would be willing to help me with my MB but the counselor never called back.
Well, the scoutmaster of our unit (1181- which is my church) was at the same time recruiting people in our neighborhood to be counselors for the merit badges. My dad, who is a pharmacist, signed up to be a counselor for several related to his profession: Public health, Chemistry, Medicine, First Aid. He also signed up to be a counselor in subjects he is comfortable in teaching because of other experience: Backpacking, Camping, Canoeing, Computers, Family Life, Home Repairs, Scholarship and Carpentry. But, when he found out there weren't any counselors for some of the centennial MB's, he signed up to be a counselor for them too: Tracking and Signaling. He said, "I don't know any Morse Code but I guess I'll learn." (Did I mention that my dad is the smartest man I know?)

Anyhow, my second MB was earned at the AF Rec Center - Public Speaking. I was really nervous a first but I got over my nerves and gave two speeches about....scouts! My demonstration speech (with props) was on the 72-hour kits I prepared for our family for the Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge. And, my 10 minute speech was on the centennial Merit Badges. I'm well on my way.
Giving my speech on Adventures Found