Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2012

Art, Science and Sport

"Chess is everything: art, science and sport." - Anatoly Karpov

MB# 87 Chess


This MB was added this year and I was excited to take it. My family has a four man chess set which I enjoy playing because I can beat my dad. I got a new chess set which only cost $5 for the class. I figured we would play chess but I had no idea that you could replay famous chess matches from the past. Dad and I set up some of the chess matches that were in the book and replayed them. It was cool to see how the masters set up their games and wins. At this point, even though I like to play, I still have difficulty seeing more than one move at a time.

I do know that chess is a very serious and extremely competitive sport. Here are some quotes from famous chess players:

Chess is war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent's mind. - Bobby Fischer


The highest art of the chessplayer lies in not allowing your opponent to show you what he can do. - Garry Kasparov

There is only one thing in chess that Fischer does without pleasure - to lose ! - Boris Spassky


Chess is, above all, a fight. - Emanuel Lasker